Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Reflection on Reading


In the chapter of the textbook on the reflection phase of PAR, I was surprised at how many different strategies there were to use. One of the ones that really stood out for me was the Rallytable. I think this is such a great idea to get students to work in pairs and reflect. I like how there is a set time which is great for time constraints and I think that makes the activity more fun. It is almost like a game for reflection. Combining this pair’s knowledge into a graphic organizer is also a great tool for a study aid.

I was surprised at how much critical thought and literacy was discussed in this chapter. I was even more surprised at the fact that it was encouraged at all grade levels. I have always thought of critical thought as being important in all levels of PAR. I guess I am just surprised it is not talked about in the other chapters like it is in this one. I feel like a student can also be taught to think critically in the preparation phase and assistance phase. What does everyone else think on that topic? How could you teach critical thinking in the other two phases? As far as it being important in all grade levels, I can see how that would be true, however, how can you promote such higher level thinking and problem solving in the lower elementary grades? Because first graders, for example, might not be proficient readers or writers yet, would they reflect critically through oral or visual communication and if so what ideas do you have? The text also says that it is “…especially important to start these types of activities in early elementary classrooms…” on page 112. This statement is referring to study guides to help in assisting the students in problem-solving steps however, I do no t think the example given in Activity 5.1 is something that would be used in an early elementary classroom. The group- and- label technique in the activity below is something much more appropriate that I could see myself using in my future classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I understand wondering whether some students are too young to start talking about critical thinking, but I think it would be a mistake to wait until they are proficient readers and writers to start teaching critical thinking skills. Some research has suggested that students are most creative around kindergarten age. They can think far outside the box for problem solving solutions. This creative thinking drops dramatically as students age. Maybe it's because they are forced to conform to a learning system where most questions have only one specific answer. Maybe it's because they don't want to be different from everyone else. It could be for any number of reasons, but the bottom line is, that ability to solve problems in bizarre ways seems to be innate, and we teach it out of students. If we could empower that creativity in the early stages and bring decision making and problem solving into the kindergarten and first grade classrooms, I think we could produce far more students who want to learn and who learn more in earlier stages than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insight. I really appreciate it. You are abolutely right!

      Delete
  2. Stephanie, I agree with you: Critical thinking should be encouraged at each phase. Glad you pointed that out and I hope we pick this up in future class discussions.

    ReplyDelete