Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Much Needed Tools and Strategies


After reading chapter three of the textbook and the article on content-area literacy strategies, I am realizing even more how important this course is for the future educator. Although I have learned about many tools to use in my future classroom through my education classes at ODU, I have never really known how to judge which tool or strategy would be best to use for particular subjects and situations. I also was never comfortable making tools such as anticipation guides, written previews and rewrites. My first inclination before would have been to research the internet for ideas or an example I could use instead of coming up with one on my own. I thought this way because I never really knew how to create and incorporate these tools into the classroom. 

While reading about rewrites, I felt as though it may be more beneficial, if time allows, that the teacher and class rewrite the story together. I understand the rewrite is to help the student comprehend the text better when they read it for the first time, but I feel like they may not be as interested in reading it if they already know what it is about. Does anyone else share this feeling? Does anyone think that maybe students will find it pointless to read the actual text if they already read an easier version of it? Maybe someone can explain why they would still be interested.

While reading about graphic organizers and looking at the examples, some ideas came to my mind. I think a great way to incorporate graphic organizers such as a tree diagram into a lesson (once the class gets acquainted with them) is to leave a few places blank so they students’ curiosity is peaked when looking at it before reading and while reading are able to fill in the missing pieces. It is also a tool that can be created by the student to check understanding after the story has been read. Students could also use the tree diagram that is completed by the teacher as a writing activity. Once the story has been read, the student can then write a summary using the key concepts in the graphic organizer and linking them with complete sentences.

This article and chapter is something I can continue to look back on as a reference to make sure I am accessing my class’s prior knowledge they best way I can and incorporating content-area literacy in the best way. These tools and strategies described in the readings is something I can continue to use even specific examples. I really loved the example of the analogy on the revolutionary war and the teenager. What a great way to relate history to present day teenage problems! When teachers think more like the student, these connections between real life and content can be made in a relevant way. Can anyone think of an analogy like this one that can be used in an elementary classroom?

2 comments:

  1. When you mention students being interested in reading if they already know what it is about, it reminded me of a class I took this past semester. It was about teaching literature with film. The class was very interesting as I learned different ways to incorporate film into the classroom in a constructive manner. We were all responsible to write a unit plan. I did my unit on The Lorax. Later, we had to present our unit. With there not being enough time to do one whole lesson, I made a modified version in which we looked at some parts of the movie that were not included in the book. My teacher told me that I would probably be better off not showing it to them until I let the students predict what could have happened on their own. I feel the same way about this situation, that students may feel like their creativity is taken away from them. What's the point if we already know the ending? What's the point if we can watch the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! That's a great example of how I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete